Special Educational Needs


At Kings Copse Primary School, we aim to enable all children, including those with Special Educational Needs to enjoy a well-balanced and broad curriculum. We pride ourselves in supporting pupils to develop their confidence, independence and positive self-esteem in a secure and caring environment.

Our Special Educational Needs or Disability Co-ordinator (SENDCo) is Mrs Clare Darling-Chalke while the Teacher in Charge of the Resource Provision for Visually Impaired Pupils is Mrs Bernie Stout (QTVI).

Every Local Authority is required to publish information about services that are available in their area for children and young people from birth to 25 who have Special Educational Needs and/or disabilities (SEND) and also services outside the area which children and young people can use. This is known as the Local Offer. All schools are to complete an SEN Information Report that will contribute to the local offer. At Kings Copse Primary School, this report – as detailed below – has been designed to give a clear profile on how we work with children with SEND in our setting. Information on Hampshire County Council's local offer can be found here.

A copy of our school's can be found on our policies page.

Our Local Offer

Kings Copse Primary School is a mainstream setting with additional provision for pupils with a Visual Impairment. We welcome all children whatever their abilities and needs. We believe all pupils should have access to a broad, balanced curriculum that is differentiated and personalised. Our school building is accessible to children with a physical disability and we ensure equipment is fully accessible to all children regardless of need. Extra-curricular activities and before and after school provision are accessible for all children with SEND. Our practice is in line with the SEN Code of Practice 2014.

How does the school know if my child needs extra help?

At Kings Copse Primary School, we know children need extra help if:

  • Limited progress is being made (as identified through assessment procedures)
  • Concerns are raised by parents or carers, a teacher or the child
  • There is a change in the pupil’s behaviour or progress

How can I let the school know if I am concerned about my child?

If you have concerns about your child, you should speak to the class teacher in the first instance. If you are not happy that the concerns are being managed, and that your child is still not making progress, you should speak to the SENDCo, QTVI (for VI Pupils) or the Headteacher. If you are still not happy, you can speak to the school SEND Governor or follow the school’s Complaints Procedure.

How does the school support my child?

Every child is unique, with talents, strengths and areas for development that are theirs and theirs alone. Every child will, at some point, require additional support and guidance to make sense of the learning – that’s what school is all about! At Kings Copse, we support children in many ways, as detailed below.

Quality First Teaching

Each pupil is entitled to Quality First Teaching as planned by the class teacher. We also call this Wave One teaching. This support is tailored to individual needs within the classroom. It may include additional support by the teacher or Learning Support Assistant in class.

Quality First Teaching also involves:

  • Having high expectations for your child and all pupils within the class
  • An approach that builds upon skills and knowledge the child already has to move them forward
  • Using different teaching styles, such as practical learning and outdoor spaces
  • Specific strategies suggested by the SENDCo and outside agencies

Small Group Work

Pupils may have access to specific small group work. This support is available to any child within school. These groups may be run by the Class Teacher, Curriculum Support Teacher or Learning Support Assistant. These groups may work on Literacy and Numeracy skills, or have a focus on friendship or social skills.

Specialist Small Group Work – Wave 2 Provision

Specialist ‘Wave 2’ groups run for children where we have identified barriers to learning that Quality First Teaching may not be able to meet. Examples of specialist groups include Speech and Language support and Occupational Therapy work. These groups are run with the support and advice from professional outside agencies and delivered by Learning Support Assistants under the guidance of the SENDCo. In order for your child to access a specialist group, they must be identified by the SENDCo, by parents or by a professional, such as the Educational Psychologist (EP), Speech and Language Therapist (SaLT) or Occupational Therapist (OT). We ask parents to give permission for such specialists to be involved with the care of their child.

Individual Support – Wave 3 Provision

Where children show a particular difficulty or are making limited progress, the school may support your child with a Wave 3 intervention. Such interventions are short term, often 1:1 programmes, designed to give children intensive support in a specific area of difficulty. The school’s SEN provision map details the kind of support we can offer. The suitability of the intervention programme is dependent on child’s ability and age. The SENDCo is responsible for organising this provision. Fully trained Learning Support Assistants or the SENDCo would normally deliver Wave 3 interventions. Parents are notified through a letter or via Parent/Teacher consultations if their child is to have Wave 3 support.

Individual Education Plans and Individual Behaviour Management Plans (IEPs/IBMPs)

All children identified by the SENDCo as having specific difficulties will either have an Individual Education Plan or an Individual Behaviour Management Plan. These plans include small targets and ideas to support your child to make progress. They are reviewed every term by the teacher, SENDCo and any other adults who work with your child. IEPs and IBMPs are sent home so parents are aware of their child’s individual targets. The documents are flexible within school and if a child has met the target, school staff will automatically progress the child onto a new target without having to wait for the next review.

Pupils with a Statement of SEN or an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP)

For children whose needs are severe, complex or long term, specialist support from the Local Authority, Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology Services or from Medical teams may be necessary. Pupils may join Kings Copse with a Statement/EHCP in place from their pre-school or previous school. The school will consider the arrangements and provision suggested in the Statement or ECHP and work in consultation with parents and professionals to put support in place.

While on roll, pupils may be identified as candidates for a Statement or an Education, Health and Care plan. The school can request that the Local Authority carry out a statutory assessment of a child’s needs. This is a legal process, which sets out the amount and nature of support that should provided for your child. This process is always undertaken as a partnership between home and school and professionals involved with a child’s support. The request for a Statement/EHCP takes the form of a large document full of information about your child. Parents’ views are included in the evidence for the Statement/EHCP request. The Local Authority will decide whether or not to proceed with the assessment/EHCP process. If the Local Authority declines the request, they will provide school and home with a document outlining support and strategies that could be used in the future. If the request is successful the, Statement/EHCP will outline a number of hours for individual/small group support that your child will receive and what support strategies should be put in place. It will also give long term and short term goals for your child. We always work with parents to put the provision and strategies in place as suggested by the Statement/EHCP.

Children who have a Statement/EHCP will have an annual review. This is a meeting whereby the Statement of SEN/EHCP is reviewed, progress is shared and ways forward are suggested. Professionals, staff and parents are invited to the meeting and have the opportunity to share reports, discuss successes and identify areas for development.

How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?

Class Teachers plan lessons according to specific needs within their class. Activities are differentiated to enable children to access the curriculum at their level. Learning Support Assistants can adapt planning and be allocated to work with pupils, either 1:1 or in small groups. Children may have access to specialist equipment and resources to support their access to the curriculum.

How will I know how my child is doing?

Your child’s progress is continually monitored by their teacher and is discussed each half term with the Assistant Head Teachers and Head Teacher as part of pupil progress meetings. Your child’s progress is also discussed during IEP review meetings each term with the SENDCo or QTVI (for VI pupils). We also assess children’s reading and spelling ages each term to benchmark against national expectations. All pupils have their progress and individual target sheets shared through Parent/Teacher Consultations. Pupils with a Statement for SEN/EHCP will have an annual review where progress is shared. All children receive an annual report from their Class Teacher during the summer term. Outside of these reporting arrangements, parents are welcome to come and talk through progress concerns with their child’s teacher, SENDCo or QTVI (VI Pupils) by making an appointment with the school office.

How will I be involved in discussions about planning for my child’s education?

Parents are encouraged to contribute to their child’s education, this may be through:

  • Informal discussions with the class teacher
  • Parent/Teacher Consultations (where targets and Individual Education Plans are shared and discussed)
  • Meetings with the SENDCo/QTVI or other professionals
  • Annual Reviews (for children with a Statement of SEN or EHCP)

How will the school help me to support my child at home?

Your child’s teacher is available, by appointment, to discuss your child’s progress and to share information about what is working well at home and school so similar strategies can be used. The SENDCo/QTVI is also available to discuss strategies and offer support for behavioural or emotional needs during parent consultations or by appointment. The school can also signpost parents to external help (from outside agencies) if this is required.

What support is available for my child’s overall well-being?

Kings Copse Primary School offers a wide variety of pastoral support for all pupils, including those who are encountering emotional, behavioural or social difficulties. Children may need pastoral support in the short term or over a longer period as appropriate to their individual needs. We can offer:

  • Emotional Literacy Support Assistants (ELSAs)
  • FEIPS (Framework for Enhanced Individual Pastoral Support)
  • Friendship groups
  • Social skills groups
  • Time to talk groups
  • Behaviour support strategies
  • Signposting to relevant agencies
  • Lunchtime clubs (activities for children who find lunchtime a challenge)
  • Playtime buddies

What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?

Available in school:

  • Speech, Language and Communication Assistant
  • ELSA – Emotional Literacy Support Assistant
  • FEIPS – Framework for Enhanced Individual Pastoral Support
  • Counselling – provided by feeder secondary school
  • Outreach service from Special schools

Accessed by the school:

  • Hampshire Educational Psychology Service
  • NHS Speech and Language Therapy
  • School Nurse
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Physiotherapy
  • Primary Behaviour Support
  • Local Authority Services, such as Specialist Teacher advisers for Physical Difficulties, Visual impairments, Hearing impairments

How are the staff in school helped to work with children with SEND and what training do they have?

The SENDCo and QTVI support the class teachers in planning and resourcing for children with SEND. As part of the performance management cycle, every staff member has opportunities to improve practice, teaching and learning of all pupils, including those with SEND. This may include whole school training, individual courses and e-learning opportunities. The SENDCo and QTVI plan training opportunities for their support staff teams and with the whole school during INSET days and regularly meet for update and advice sessions. Training and development is linked with the school development, SEND development and VI development plans. Individual staff may also access advice and support from outside agencies who are working with specific children.

How will my child be included in activities outside of the classroom, including school trips?

At Kings Copse Primary School, activities and trips are available to all pupils. Risk assessments are carried out and procedures are put in place to enable all children to participate. If an intensive level of support is required for an individual pupil, we may ask a parent or carer to accompany their child during an activity or a key member of staff would be put in place for that child.

How will the school prepare and support my child when joining Kings Copse or transferring on to a new class or school?

We recognise that transitions can be difficult for children with SEND and we take steps to ensure that any transition is as smooth as possible. If your child is joining Kings Copse, Early Years Practitioners and the SENDCo/QTVI will endeavour to visit the pre-school or make links with pre-school/agencies involved with your child before they start school. We also offer home visits to all our parents of children coming into Reception year.

When moving between classes at Kings Copse, information is passed between class teachers in advance of joining the new class. Where children would be helped by a social story to support them in understanding moving on then it will be made and shared within school; a copy will also be sent home for the child to look at during the summer holidays. Towards the end of the term, pupils take part in a ‘change-over’ or transfer morning whereby they spend time with their new teacher and any adults supporting them.

Before moving to secondary school, the SENDCo/QTVI or Year 6 teacher will attend the primary transition event to discuss specific needs of the child with secondary school staff. Some children may have extra transition visits with the secondary school and in some cases secondary staff may visit your child here at Kings Copse. Our school ELSA is able to run transition groups or 1:1 sessions to talk through and support anxieties about going to secondary school.

How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to the children’s special educational needs?

The school receives a budget from the local authority to support pupils with SEND. The Headteacher and Governing Body decide on the budget for SEND each year. The Headteacher and SENDCo regularly discuss all the information they have about SEND in the school, including children already in receipt of extra support, children who require extra support and children – with or without support – who have been identified as not making as much progress as would be expected. Together we decide what resources, training and support is needed and resources are allocated accordingly. Children with Statements of SEN or an EHCP may have specific allocations in terms of resources and additional adult support. These will be met in full. School can apply for extra funding for pupils not eligible for an EHCP but who show complex needs through the SENSA funding.

Who I can contact for further information?

Our SENDCo is Mrs Clare Darling-Chalke. Our QTVI is Mrs Bernie Stout. The Headteacher is Mrs Hayley Ferguson. The SEND Governor is Mrs Angela Andrews. All members of staff and governors should be contacted through the school office.


Kings Copse Primary School
Kings Copse Road
Hedge End
SO30 0PQ

Tel: 01489 785040